Deep-Fried Hoppy Chicken with Cucumber and Potato Salad
For the chicken:
1 free-range chicken, approx. 1 kg
150 ml Bitburger Radler naturtrüb
Juice of 1 organic lemon
2 organic lemons
50 ml heavy cream
50 g flour
150 g bread crumbs
Freshly ground salt
Freshly ground pepper
For the slaw:
400 g precooked baby potatoes
½ bunch of radishes
½ bunch of green onions
A few sprigs of flat-leaf parsley
3 tbsp premium mild mustard
2 tbsp honey
50 ml white balsamic vinegar
50 ml Bitburger Radler naturtrüb
75 ml sunflower oil
Vegetable fat for deep frying
- Remove the legs and cut them into halves at the joint. Cut off the wings, then cut the breast from the remainder of the chicken and slice it into three parts. Stir the Radler and the lemon juice together and season the liquid with salt and pepper. Pour it over the meat and let it marinate for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable fat to 160°C.
- Cut the cucumber in half and then cut again lengthwise. Trim off the ends and core the cucumber by scraping out the seeds with a spoon. Then, slice the cucumber parts thinly. Peel the potatoes and cut them into finger-thick slices. Wash the radishes and cut them into thin slices, and follow by washing the green onions and slicing them into fine rings. Pick off the parsley leaves. Stir together the remaining ingredients to make a vinaigrette and mix the sliced ingredients into it. Season again if desired.
- Mix the eggs with the cream. Roll the chicken pieces into the flour, then into the egg, and finally into the bread crumbs. After that, deep-fry the chicken piece by piece in the hot vegetable fat for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the chicken pieces on paper towel and season them with salt.
- Garnish the salad with parsley and portion it out in bowls. Serve with the hoppy chicken.