Grilled Brats with Drunken Onions and Sweet and Sour Cabbage
Makes four – six servings
Total time: 45 minutes
1 Bitburger Pilsner
1 large onion, sliced
3 tbsp. Colden’s Freakin’ Greek Rub
½ tbsp. fennel
1 tbsp. whole grain mustard
1 tbsp. horseradish
1 head red cabbage
1 stick butter
1 apple, peeled & sliced
½ cup vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar
½ tbsp. ground clove
- Preheat the recteq to 400° F, with 2 cast iron skillets inside.
- Cut, core and slice cabbage.
- Add butter, apples and cabbage to one of the cast iron skillets. Let it cook down by half.
- Add vinegar, sugar, clove and 2 tbsp. Colden’s Freakin’ Greek Rub, the cook until cabbage becomes soft. Remove the cast iron and set aside.
- Add Bitburger Pilsner, 1 tbsp. Colden’s Freakin’ Greek Rub, fennel, horseradish and mustard. Mix well.
- Once beer is hot, add brats and let it simmer until the beer has reduced by half.
- Remove the brats from cast iron and place directly on grates, then cook to an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Let beer and onions reduce until it becomes thick.
- Remove from the recteq and spoon over brats. Serve brats alongside the sweet and sour cabbage.